Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Trying to be Better

    This is a tough time of year to be a Elementary School teacher. The Holidays are such a huge source of distraction and anxiety for children this age. I'm trying to be a better "Holiday Teacher." Sometimes I have a little academic tunnel vision, and forget what time of year it is. One of my colleagues made fun of me last year because her kids were decorating Gingerbread Houses at the end of the day, and my kids were still plowing through our math curriculum. This also happened to be on the last day of school before our Holiday Break. Well, this year will be different...sort of. Here is a site that my kids will be using during the last week of school...if they finish their homework.


Here are some examples of what this program is capable of. The angry, banana-throwing elf is my own creation, and the other two are Gingerbread Men already on the site that kids can customize.





     Because I am a scrooge of a teacher, my students will have writing assignment that goes along with this experience. They will have to write directions for their Kindergarten Reading Buddies on how to use the site. They will be reading the directions, but the Buddies will have to follow them to the "T." We're working on details and sequencing. We'll see how it goes, and maybe I will post some of their creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment